A Plant-Based Routine That Keeps Skin Hydrated this Summer Season
When dreaming about summer, many people imagine having tan, healthy, and glowing skin. In reality, the excessive sun takes a serious toll on your body's largest organ. Without the right approach to skincare, dreamy summer days can bring sweat, sunburn, and signs of premature aging.
To battle summer skincare concerns, it's imperative to introduce a protective routine that works. With thousands of products on the market, it's easy to feel lost and confused. That's where a plant-based skincare routine comes in.
Plant-based skincare products are an effective, safe, and cruelty-free solution that helps protect and enhance your skin all summer long. Let's take a closer look at the way they work.
Common Summer Skincare Concerns
Many people mistakenly believe that if they spend the majority of their summer days indoors, they can avoid skin issues.
In reality, the sun isn't the only summer culprit. Air conditioning and pools can also make a significant difference in the health of your skin.
Here are a few concerns that deserve your close attention:
- Dry skin – the sunlight does an excellent job absorbing moisture from your skin. Meanwhile, air conditioning and chlorine from the pool dry it out. Another reason for skin dryness in the summer is clogged pores that block sweat glands.
- Sunburn – the UV light from the sun damages your skin cells. Besides looking unpleasant, hurting, and itching, sunburn can cause skin cancer. In the summer, it's possible to get sunburn even if the weather is cloudy.
- Acne – when the sweat clogs your pores and mixes with bacteria on the surface of your skin, you can develop acne. Even if your skin isn't usually oily or acne-prone, you can still face these problems in the summer.
Some people also suffer from sun allergy or photosensitivity. This is your immune system's reaction to sunlight. While the cause of this condition is currently unknown, it can lead to serious discomfort.
An effective plant-based skincare routine can neutralize the above concerns and help you enjoy worry-free summer days.
What is plant-based skincare?
Plant-based (also called vegan) skincare involves using skincare products that don't contain any animal byproducts or ingredients. It relies on the benefits of natural plant elements.
In plant-based cleansers, soaps, moisturizers, or SPF products, you won't find any beeswax, honey, collagen, gelatin, or stearic acid.
The key benefits of plant-based skincare products are:
- They are less harsh on your skin
- They are excellent for sensitive skin
- They are great for people who have skin conditions (eczema, rosacea)
Plant-based products contain more natural ingredients than non-vegan cosmetics do. Plants have excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Natural plant ingredients also contain vitamins, essential fats, and acids that help soothe your skin, increase its elasticity, strengthen your cells, and much more. Meanwhile, vegan skin products are cruelty-free and better for the environment.
A Safe Plant-Based Skincare Routine
When designing a protective hydrating routine for the summer, plant-based products can make a significant difference. A basic routine that can help you get started includes:
- Plant-based cleanser – an effective cleanser is necessary to prevent sweat from clogging your pores during the summer. It also makes your skin ready to absorb other skincare products.
- Plant-based moisturizer – a moisturizer hydrates your skin and allows it to withstand the drying properties of the sun. Paired with sunscreen, it can prevent excessive dryness and premature aging.
- Plant-based sunscreen – sunscreen is the most important element of your summer skincare routine. It protects your skin from dryness, sun damage, and cancer.
- Plant-based lip balm – many people forget that lips need care too. Using a lip balm with SPF protects sensitive lip skin from sunburn.
- Plant-based exfoliator – during the summer, you need to keep exfoliation to a minimum (not more than twice a week). A smart approach to summer exfoliation can keep your skin in top shape.
To enhance your summer skincare routine, don't forget to:
- Drink plenty of water
Eat enough fruits and vegetables
- Take a shower right after swimming in the pool or in the sea (don't forget to reapply sunscreen after the shower)
- Cover your body and stay in the shade whenever possible
The positive effect of plant-based cosmetics on your summer skin regimen is only possible if you take the right approach to each summer skin problem.
Avoiding Sun Damage with Sunscreen and Lip Plump
Sun damage is the most dangerous side effect of being in the sun. That's why it's imperative to choose high-quality sunscreen for your face, lips, and body. You can take advantage of tinted mineral sunscreen and lip plumping with SPF.
Pro tip: According to a board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Lena Kennedy, when under the sun, you need to reapply sunscreen every two hours.
Hydrating Your Skin with a Moisturizer
Moisturizers are a must-have in any skincare routine. As the sun works hard to dry out the skin, they battle its effects.
For some people, the serum works better than a moisturizer during the summer. You can consider using a plant-based hyaluronic acid hydrating serum
Pro tip: If you choose to use both the serum and the moisturizer, apply the antioxidant serum first. It allows the latter's active ingredient to work better.
Keeping Your Skin Clean with an Effective Cleanser
Cleanliness is the key to your skin's health. You can choose an effective plant-based cleanser that suits your skin's needs. It's also important to use an exfoliation product that doesn't damage your sensitive skin.
Pro tip: Remember, don't overdo exfoliation during the summer and never exfoliate right before going out in the sun.
Create a Personalized Plant-Based Routine Today
A plant-based skincare routine can be highly beneficial for your skin in the summer. With the right hydrating, cleansing, and sun protection products, it's possible to avoid the unpleasant sun, pool, and air conditioner-related consequences.
At ClarityRx, we have all the products you need to design an effective personalized plant-based skin regimen for the summer. Our certified dermatologists work hard to help you take care of your skin so it can take care of you.